Tuesday, November 24, 2009

i like the idea of being a runner.

I can count the number of times I've actually 'taken a run' on one hand. Even when I'm about to miss a bus, I opt to be late in lieu of running after it... not just because I'd look ridiculous, but because I'm lazy. Despite my idle demeanor, I've committed to training for a 5K that I'll (supposedly) run next summer with my mom.

I agreed because I like the idea of being a runner. I envy those 40- 50- 60- 70-somethings who do marathons. I always imagined I'd be one of those people when I got older. I'm not sure why I imagined myself running Crazylegs when i'm 50 if I can't even comfortably run a city block now, but that's why I agreed to do it. I want to be healthy now AND later.

The problem is: I'm easily unmotivated. A hot bowl of soup is more inviting than a pair of running shoes, and a few extra hours of sleep are going to sound much better on a cold winter morning than getting up and going to the gym before class. After I finally buck up and get my shoes on, I'll find more things to complain about: my joints are bad, I wheeze, none of my clothes are comfortable, etc. etc. etc. I know I'm not the only one starting out feeling like this is an impossibility, so I might as well try, right? (and I might as well write about it, because the more people who read this, the more people I'll have pushing me along.)


But the sad truth, now, is that I run like the fat kid in gym class. It's hilarious, actually.
This picture is me, sulking on a hike. I also like the idea of being a hiker.




No comments: