Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Full Mile!

School is officially back in session, which means I can look forward to waiting in line for a treadmill AND changing in a room with 30-ish skinny, athletic girls (yep, I'm officially out of the bathroom stall) everyday (almost) for the next few months.

I got to the SERF at 8:30 this morning and was up on the cardio floor soon after. I'm always winded by the time I reach the 4th floor BUT then I use a stairmaster and I'm fine for (what it claims to be) 60+ floors. Can someone explain this to me? It's embarassing to be out of breath before I even get on a machine.

Anyway, today I spotted an open treadmill immediately. I saw at least 2 other people walking towards it, but I pretended not to see them and hopped on. What can I say? I'm ruthless. It had been awhile since I had gotten one because usually I'm banished to the less-popular equipment (like the ancient, bulky stairmaster that sounds like a vacuum cleaner, left.) or a stationary bike. No one likes those. They're treated like a quiet bookworm is treated in high school; ignored unless interaction is unavoidable. I like to think the elliptical is like me in high school: kind of weird and not easy to get used to at first, but actually really awesome. (No, I don't really think about these things when I'm working out. Don't mind the rambling, I'm exhausted).

As you already know from the title, I ran my first mile today. Since I finally got on a treadmill today, I decided to use my time to see just how far I could run. I can't even remember the last time I ran. I hate the cold, so I really rely on those treadmills. After a short warmup, I pressed the little "up" arrow until I really couldn't handle the speed anymore. I didn't even look at the number. I didn't want to know. I just focused on my music, the skinny guy in the too-short shorts in front of me (never fails to gross me out), "The Today Show" playing on the plasma screen with captions too small to read. Anything. I just kept running until I couldn't. By the time I looked down, I had already run almost the entire mile and I suffered through the rest of it, just to say that I did.

So, now I'm saying it. I ran a mile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you, Natalee! I had not read your blog yet this year..enjoyed catching up. Good stuff! Gma Ruthie

Anonymous said...

Way to go Natalee! I was about to skip my workout today until I read this! Love your blog! Cathy Allds