Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mental Hurdles

As I write this, I'm lounging in my armchair, all prepared for running (in my Nike-knock-off shorts, sports bra and of course, ample deodorant). I've been wearing this stuff for a good half hour.

It takes more than sports apparel to get me motivated, unfortunately.

Since my last entry, I ran another full mile. Plus some, actually. And I didn't even realize that I had done it until the next day. I was running with my mom around the capital square and we went 2 times around without stopping. I was amazed that I had done it, but I was even more amazed when I realized that 1 time around the square = at least 1/2 mile, so 2 times around the square = at least a full mile. Who said I wasn't good at math?

That being said, I'm stuck again. I haven't been able to do it on my own. Believe me, I've tried. By time time I get even half way around the square, my inner dialogue is something like:

"Ouch, my thighs are chafing. I can't breathe. Just make it to that corner. Then the next corner. Ugh! And the next one. How does anyone enjoy this? I need to get something for these thighs. It's like I'm trying to start a fire. Oh my god, I need to catch my breath. I need to make it to that next corner. Seriously, why do people do this?"

I'm not a very good motivator.

When I'm running with my mom, though, she distracts me from... myself. I (mostly) think of other things, and it's extremely helpful. But she's not here today. So, I guess I better get out there and run some mental hurdles.

No comments: